Tuesday, March 22, 2011

plants with purpose or how does your garden grow

I'm in the process of 'repurposing' my flower beds into vegetable beds. I have lost several ornamental shrubs due to a variety of reasons and am going to rework those beds into spaces where we can grow things to eat. The few perennial flowers in those beds have been moved or thinned to make room. This is an experiment for me, but I'm sort of excited about it. I've always wanted an herb garden and one area will be converted for that. I'm also planning on planting a few tomatoes, green peppers and zucchini.

I'd love to build a raised bed in the back yard and do a proper garden, but this is not the year to tackle that project. So, I will use the space I have that is easily converted for a different purpose. On Sunday I priced plants at Lowe's and will check at Wally World today to see how they compare in price and plant quality. I hope to have the herbs and veggies in the ground so they can benefit from the rain we are expecting to fall on Wednesday night.

In other news, I'm reading the latest installment in JD Robb's (Nora Roberts) saga featuring Eve Dallas. These books have become a bit too formulaic for me. You can't deny Roberts' success as a writer and a major force in publishing, but I'm finding more enjoyment in reading new, debut and midlist authors now.

No comments: