Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Not only is it Ash Wednesday today, but it is also my brother's birthday. Happy Birthday!! 

Up for today: a meeting with our Main Street group about the big conference coming to town next month. I also have assorted other fun activities planned for today. Read that last sentence with a lot of sarcasm, please.

But, not to dwell on my less than stellar day, the newspaper awaits me. Today's edition is filled with all sorts of stories regarding the historic vote in our 'big' city to surrender their school district charter and force consolidation on the county. A whopping 17% of the eligible voters deemed the education of the city's children important enough to vote. Hmmmm. Perhaps this apathy at the polls mirrors the apathy in the schools and explains the reason why our 'big' city schools are failing. I wonder if the rest of the county residents were allowed to vote, what the turnout would have been outside the city limits?

No comments: