Friday, March 25, 2011

jennifer lawrence as katniss everdeen

I've blogged about Suzanne Collin's dystopian trilogy that started with "The Hunger Games" before, but now that the book is being made into a movie and now that the lead role has been filled, it is time to comment.

First, I'm always anxious when a movie is made from one of my favorite books. Sometimes the choice of actor is okay, sometimes it is great and sometimes it falls far short of the mark. Case in point, "Interview with the Vampire." I was devastated when Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat and vindicated when I learned that Anne Rice wasn't happy either.  On the other hand, I've enjoyed seeing folks like Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law bring Holmes and Watson to life on the screen. No on can replace Basil Rathbone as the amazing Sherlock, but the latest incarnation works for me in some way.

Casting drama can consume the tabloid-movie magazines and everyone was guessing who would be tapped to play Katniss.  Several facebook pages I frequent asked for opinions and I offered a few names I thought would work. Several young actresses kept popping up, Saoirse Ronin, Hailee Steinfeld, Jennifer Lawrence. I'd seen both Ronin and Lawrence work their acting magic in movies, but I've not managed to see Steinfeld's performance in "True Grit." Yet, I liked the way she looked and thought of the three, she might be the best choice.

That being said, I was very, very impressed with Lawrence's performance in "Winter's Bone." She did a great job. That ability must have knocked the socks off the movie's folk as well as Collins. She was tapped for the role.

I will plunk down my money to see this movie and most likely will take the kiddoes with me. I'm eager to see Lawrence take on this part and to see the book brought to life on the big screen.

No comments: