Thursday, September 18, 2008

sort day

Thursday is the day the Friends group meets at the library to sort, shelve or box the donations. I'm always interested to see what titles are donated to the library. Of late, our nonfiction donations are outpacing the fiction donations. Self help is the biggest nonfiction category we receive. I guess we have lots of people out there trying to fix themselves.

After self help, we receive a lot of books on religion/inspiration. Not sure if that is a reflection of where I live, the buckle of the bible belt, or another larger trend.

We do receive a fair number of professional/trade books. The how-to sort of stuff ranging from computers to management. Quite a few medical books as well.

History books, political science books, travel books etc are also usually represented. We do receive more fiction books than these last nonfiction categories.

I'm not a nonfiction book reader. I read to be entertained, to be taken away, to escape the humdrum day to day routine. Apparently, more folks out there read nonfiction. Or, do they just hold onto the fiction titles and collect them? Right now we need romance books for the store....and for our big book sale coming up in a few weeks. Guess those romance readers are reluctant to part with their books.

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

oh oh ! me me ! i have some to donate! do they have to be new?