Monday, September 8, 2008

head full

One of the more lovely things about the kids going back to school is the germs they bring home. Yep, it never fails that within a month of school starting the cold germs infect all of us. It was my turn this weekend and although I feel better this morning, I still have a head full of gunk. My nose is a lovely shade of red and very sore.

Beyond the cold, I had a decent weekend. I finished reading Alison Weir's book, "The Lady Elizabeth." What a good historical fiction read. Now, I truly enjoy reading about Elizabeth's early years, so this book wasn't a hard sell for me. Weir did a great job of exploring the inner thoughts of the future queen from her relationship with her father to the involvement she had with her final stepmother's husband. She took some literary license, which is to be expected in a novel, but everything was very plausible. Thumbs up on this one.

I also watched True Blood last night on HBO. I'm a huge Charlaine Harris fan and own every Sookie book published. When I heard this series was in the works, I didn't go back and reread the first few books. Best to watch a TV treatment without a fresh memory of how the books unfold. I enjoyed episode one and got to hand it to Alan Ball for leaving us all hanging at the end of the show. I've enjoyed the actors cast as the characters and can't wait to see Eric brought to life by young Mr. Skaarsgard. You know where I'll be every Sunday for the next several weeks.

Not a short week this week, but a busy one with three soccer games, a cub scout meeting and assorted other stuff. I do hope to get some editing and writing done, if my nose stops dripping and I can type without blowing every few minutes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just now getting to the first season of The Wire. I was intrigued by the combination of Alan Ball and vamps.

Keep us posted.

EYR said...

Will do, Dwight. How's life with you? I miss your blog. Are you writing at all or have you hung up the keyboard for good?

Kim Smith said...

sorry you are sick dearest.. do i need to haul over chicken soup??