Tuesday, September 23, 2008

and so it goes

I spent two hours yesterday training some new folks on how to run the register in the bookstore. When we were done, I knew I had two good workers and two who will never get it. That is usually how it shakes out. The soul is willing, but the mind just can't give the right directions to the fingers. I counseled those two to be 'seconds' to a veteran volunteer; which means they bag up the sales, straighten shelves and chat with the customers.

Once I got home, I finished reading "Masquerade" by Melissa de la Cruz. The book was entertaining, but not as good as the first novel in this series. The teen vampire theme is still going strong because when I was at the library yesterday, the YA gal was stamping a cart full of teen vampire themed books. Think I will stick with my evil faery motif for the YA wips.

Today the store is open for business and I will be manning the register along with one observer who needs to brush up on her skills. Always good to have company for those three hours.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Yeah from what I've read selling a YA vampire story is dang tough right now because there are so many.

EYR said...

They are like ants at a picnic...they keep coming. The interesting thing is they are such 'girl' books, it is darn hard to find good 'boy' books.