Friday, June 13, 2008

the journalist I wasn't

Back in the late 80's when I was at IU, I switched my emphasis from broadcast journalism to magazine writing. A number of factors influenced that decision including the trend for TV news to veer towards more entertainment than hard news. When the space shuttle blew up and I sat in a lecture hall and listened to several journalists gloat or bemoan the quality of photo they had of that tragedy, I knew I didn't have the stomach for what I saw as journalism's future. My faculty advisor tried to convince me otherwise, encouraged me to stay with it, journalism needed good people with objectivity who wouldn't be sucked into the 'celebrity' crap oozing into the business. I didn't listen to her. I finished my degree and promptly went into banking. But, I'm a news junkie to this day and my network of choice is NBC/MSNBC.

Today Tim Russert died. Yep, he started his career in politics, but he successfully transitioned into a journalistic watchdog. So much so, that he became an institution. Who can forget that dry erase board during the presidential election? He steered Meet the Press in a new direction. He brought political journalism back to life in this new journalistic world. He straddled the gap between celebrity and hard news. He was an amazing interviewer.

Sad day for NBC news, but it is a sadder day for people who give a damn and try to stay informed via various sources. I always looked forward to hearing what questions he had for politicians. He illuminated without having any agenda other than to lay it out on the table.

No comments: