Wednesday, June 4, 2008

and I get paid what for this?

Imagine a really loud scream...that would be me as of about five hours ago. This wasn't a good scream, this was a let me beat my head against the wall sort of thing. Have you ever met someone who consistently tries to do what I call pseudo-intellectual talk to everyone they meet? Let's just say, such people often rub other people the wrong way. Then, because of my insane devotion to the library, I get to deal with the fall out of the interactions between these people in the bookstore.

Customer complaints, aren't they grand. I'm from the management school that subscribes to the belief that what most customers want is for the system to be jiggled for them. They want the system to bend. More often than not, there is a way to do this and still stay in the gray area. Common ground is just a smile and head nod away.

I'm also of the belief that it isn't what you tell people, it is often how you say it. Ever meet someone who can correct you and make you feel like a million bucks? It is a knack, to be sure. In many ways it is a very Southern thing...the whole "bless his/her heart" mode of communication.

Yep, this is a total vent on my part. The sad thing is, even after several lengthy conversations, I don't think it is over. I think I've just hit the tip of the ice berg.

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Hey as soon as I get through this wild weekend coming at me, I will get back to you about that interview.

Also, I got Dwight's link and Nathan's link on the blog finally! yay me!!

EYR said...

You go girl...did you read Nathan's post and the links about the whole ebook thing? Good stuff.