Thursday, February 28, 2008

news and reviews


Got a phone call on Monday from the editor of a quarterly magazine published by the big city paper near our small town. She asked me to write an article promoting our bookstore for their spring edition. I quickly did a poll of the other volunteers involved with the store to gauge what qualities about the store, beyond our low prices, best appeal to the magazine's target audience, folks aged 50-65. Sent off the finished product yesterday, she emailed back within an hour, declared it 'perfect' and said the photographer will contact me soon. I'm so excited.

I finished two YA books this week, both were parts of a series. The first, "The Sweet Far Thing" is the third book in a trilogy from Libba Bray. I loved this series....and even though the third book plodded a bit in spots, I don't think readers of Gemma Doyle's adventures in the Realms will be dissappointed. I'm looking forward to more from Libba Bray. What a lovely strong YA voice for young women.

Another strong YA voice for teens is Catherine Murdock. I adored her first book, "The Dairy Queen," as did boatloads of other readers. It made the ALA list the year it debuted. Her sequal, "The Off Season" continues DJ Schwenk's journey. Murdock writes a sentimental book, but never falls into the sappy swamp trap. She keeps it real all the way through. I'd love to see more of DJ, but the book seemed to tie things up in such a way that I doubt she'd write a third. I will investigate to see what her next project might be.
So, good news all the way around for a Thursday. Yeah!

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Congratulations on your article!! I can't wait to read it!
Took a trip to Davis Kidd today... wandered the shelves. Missed you and Kristi sooooo much. Book shopping is not fun alone :(

EYR said...

I sent you an email....we need to find time next weekend for a B&N run.