Monday, March 3, 2008

titles

Hauled the kids to the mall yesterday for the big 'dress' hunt that happens this time of year. We have a trifecta this year, Easter, Confirmation and 8th grade graduation. Going to get our money's worth out of this dress. Success was reached within fifteen minutes. I wisely steered the oldest into the Ann Taylor Loft....need I say more?

Our last stop of the day was at Barnes and Noble. I spied the latest Kim Harrison book, "The Outlaw Demon Wails." I just love the titles in her Rachel Morgan series, they are all tweaks of Clint Eastwood movies. Nothing better than catchy, thematic titles for a book series. It is sort of like recognizing the perfect font for some printed piece. It just sends me.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Clique books the tweeners adore, I do have to give a nod to the titles. The latest, "Bratfest at Tiffany's" is clever. Middle kid bought that one.

Now, to the bad news....I really don't like titles where you are unsure of how to pronounce the word(s)....case in point, the third book in Paolini's fantasy series. "Brisinger" follows Eragon and Eldest. Is it with a long 'i' or a short 'i'....inquiring minds want to know? That sort of thing bothers me like a mosquito bite, I just keep scratching my head over it.

Today, of course, I'll be jumping into the "Outlaw Demon Wails."

No comments: