Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I like it, hey mikey



After the dissappoint of the weekend's book, I snuggled down with Melissa Marr's debut novel "Wicked Lovely" and read the whole darn thing in one sitting.

Not quite as dark as Holly Black's urban faery stories and not quite as light as the O.R. Melling novels, Marr delivers a 'just right' story complete with an evil villainess, amoral faeries and a tough girl trying to balance her humanity with the other-worldliness she knows is seeping into her life.

The book has a nice romantic touch, it may be a bit much for some middle grade readers, but for older YA it should be fine. Her main heroine, Aislinn, is well developed and authentic. The supporting cast is well drawn, except for Aislinn's grandmother. I was left a bit curious about her after a big plot 'reveal' in the last third of the book. The positives far outweighed the negatives in this novel, I'd read more from Marr.

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Hey girl! sorry we haven't been able to get together. I have gone into major edit mode, this is second round and now I have to be really mindful cuz it is easy to miss that comma etc.

I have gotten a couple of mockups for the cover, and I think you're gonna like it!!!
xxoox K

EYR said...

Can't wait to see the cover art...how totally fun, awesome,neat this that! I'm so excited for you:) We will find a Sunday one of these weeks!