Friday, February 15, 2008

friday recap

I ventured over to the library today and picked up a movie for the weekend and scoped out the required summer reading list from last year. Yes, the oldest offspring is going to slog through a selection of literary gems during June and July. On her plate, a choice of two titles from the following list of of four: Cold Sassy Tree, Mythology by Edith Hamilton, A day in the life of Ivan D., and The Ditchdigger's Daughters.

Quite the eclectic mix for her to choose from and write either a character study or an essay on the themes of forgiveness in the stories. Where did I put that Strunk and White's?? Where's the box of wine??

On other fronts, the ancestral research has ground to a halt as far as finding an American Revolutionary soldier goes. I'm striking out on every branch I've tried. I've founded uncles, cousins, etc., but no direct line. I have found a boatload of names though...way back to merry olde England and Scotland. Lots of Howards, Sinclairs, McKenzies, Crosses in the ancestry. I need to purchase a program to start recording the lineages.

Up for the weekend, my favorite bisexual character, Capt. Jack Harkness on BBC America's Torchwood is back for season two of the sci-fi drama. I caught up on episodes 1-3 via On Demand. We also have a plethora of sporting activities to attend and I hope to sneak in a few moments of reading time. Stumbled across a reprint of an old Fred Saberhagen novel...think it originally came out in the late 70's. Should be fun to reread that.

I have ordered up two new YA books from another library, so when they arrive and I have time to devour them, look for reviews on Libba Bray's latest and Holly Black's "Ironside."

That's it....enjoy the weekend:)

No comments: