Tuesday, November 27, 2012

christmas decor at work

Our Christmas decor at work is the most pitiful stuff you've ever seen. The tree is one step away from a Charlie Brown tree, just a plastic version. The wreaths have all seen better days, or make that years. The ornaments are shabby and sad.  Everyone thinks it is tacky, ugly, and pretty darn pitiful.  If I had a few more years under my belt, I'd be reworking all of it. It is actually sort of funny, in a depressing sort of way.

Back in my banking days, the branches had contests to see who had the most creative, pretty, and neat Christmas trees and decor. We spent money, time, and talent making the place look amazing. It was fun and made the staff proud of their efforts. The customers loved it.

Our workplace isn't open to the public, so nobody cares if we have crappy Christmas decor. My little cubicle has a few Christmas decorations in it: my favorite woodland Santa statue, a cute snowman, and a framed Charles Dickens quote.  I also printed off a few pictures including the Mary Englebreit "Believe" Santa rising out of a chimney and of course, the Charlie Brown crew gathered around a Christmas tree.

My little spot of holiday cheer....just have to grin and bear it as I make my way past the sadness in the foyer to my department!

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

my place goes all out as well, but sigh, i have no cubby to call my own yet, so i am not decorating... boo hoo