Friday, May 6, 2011

mothering

Mother's Day weekend is here and I find myself thinking of the many moms I know. Most of my friends are moms. I know a lot of other 'soccer' moms through my daughters' teams. I volunteer at the library with moms and grandmoms.  And although being a mother only requires giving birth to a child, being a Mom is something different.

I've relied on those other moms for advice, a shoulder to lean on, a kind word and a shared laugh. I've cried with some. Some have come in and out of my life. Others have stayed and that trusted relationship has grown and flourished through shared thoughts, fears and experiences.  It is an amazing thing to have another mom beside you who you know has not only your back, but your kid's back as well.  I have women in my life like that and the feeling of community and solidarity is amazing.  It is the whole 'don't mess with OUR kid' vibe.

Of course, I have the best mom in the world. She is my advisor, my friend, my confidante and my own personal cheerleader.  I'm the mom I am today because of her. I love her to pieces and wish to her, and all the other Moms out there, a very Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: