Wednesday, January 14, 2009

what I'm reading

I finished Kelley Armstrong's "Haunted" this week and have started a new book, "Dante's Girl" by Natasha Rhodes.

Every once in a while I find a paranormal book with character types I've never read about before. "Haunted" is one of those books. The heroine is a ghost, who happens to be a witch, who has been chosen by the Fates to capture a murderous evil spirit called a Nix. In doing so, she will ascend to angel status. This ascension means she will be able to better protect her still living daughter, but she will have to leave behind her life long love(her child's father) who is also a ghost and a sorcerer. The book contains plenty of complications, action and a very original/fresh plot. The book was entertaining and if I stumble across another Armstrong title I will most likely read it, but for some reason the writing didn't 'click' with me on the level that would encourage me to part with big money to buy another title.

I'm almost finished with "Dante's Girl" and will post thoughts on that title tomorrow. So far I need a spreadsheet to keep track of all the characters in this paranormal story...way too many for a book of this size and in this genre. As my book buying budget is limited, I'm glad I plucked this one from the donation pile and didn't buy it at B&N.

No comments: