Wednesday, July 2, 2008

reading lists

Our library is experiencing the normal summer run on the reading list books for the local high schools. I'm always intrigued by what the current crop of teachers assign as required reading. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by their picks and other times I just shake my head.

Speaking of reading lists, over at Dwight's blog he posted a list/meme from a fellow blogger. I've read 34 of the 100 books listed. One of the comments had a link to the Random House list which is below.
http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.html I haven't tallied up my score on those lists yet, but was pleased to see Harper Lee and Carson McCullers included.

I like the Random House lists much better. None of the lists, however, have any of the titles that are required reading for honors classes in our county schools. Hmmm. The oldest kid is taking honors English in the fall and so far she has read "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns and is now reading "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. Two essays are due on the first day of school. One is a character analysis essay and the other examines the treatment of forgiveness in one of the books.

The other two titles she could have chosen are "The Ditch Digger's Daughters" and "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch."

On another note, like last summer I'm regquiring the middle daughter to read a book and write a short paper on it. This year's choice is "The Book Thief." Excellent book and she is enjoying it as well.

No comments: