Thursday, July 3, 2008

4th of july eve

I can really hate holidays. Is it just me or is there an undercurrent of pressure to produce a wonderful holiday experience for everyone around you? The hubby has been traveling all week and informed me yesterday during a brief moment when he could get cell service, (he's in rural Mississippi) he may be in Oklahoma next week. Yep, he goes to all the fun places. Our town holds their big fireworks event tonight. He won't be home until after 8:00 and most likely won't feel like hauling all of us out to the park at that point. I really don't want to do the whole extravaganza without him. The kids are peeved that we may not go. We could have fireworks here in the family room with the way things are going.

Geez. I have three childhood memories about the 4th of July. I remember one when I was a little kid in Illinois and we drove to the park to see the fireworks, it started to pour rain and we dashed for the car and watched them from inside a steaming vehicle. We couldn't open the windows it was raining that hard. I remember burning my finger on a sparkler one year. I remember we took a picnic to Potato Creek and got rained out. We came home and the sun then magically appeared.

That's it. Not much. I do have to pick up a Boston Butt from the boy scouts at church. Our main dish for the 4th. Guess we will have all the side dishes to go along with it, maybe do some swimming, laze around. Happy 4th.

No comments: