Monday, July 21, 2008

for what it is worth

Took the middle kid to see The Dark Knight yesterday. What a treat for us, a true summer blockbuster movie with a brain. We both loved it and talked about it all the way home. From the cool gadgets to the neat special effects to the amazing dialogue, it was just really good. Worth the price of admission and must be seen on the big screen.

Ledger's Joker is incredible. I can see why the studio is whipping up some Oscar buzz. He has a few speeches that crawl under your skin and take up residence. Of course, I always enjoy seeing Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine on the screen. Too bad they couldn't have a scene together...such wonderful actors. Christian Bale channels a stoic Batman so well that when his buttons are finally pushed the emotion he unleashes blows you away.

When the kid and I were at the mall earlier in the week I picked up Lilith Saintcrow's latest book. I'd read a few reviews and figured with my B&N discount and an additional coupon, I'd treat myself. Our library, sad to say, has a crappy paranormal or urban fantasy collection and we rarely get those types of books donated for the book store. So, if I want them I have to buy them and I've become a bit more judicious in purchasing books of late. Only so much money to go around.

"Night Shift" is the tale of Jill Kismet, a hunter here to protect humans from the things that go bump in the night...demons and such. I really wanted to love this book. Can't say that it reached that level for me. Lots of world creating going in the story and in many places I felt that the elements weren't explored deeply enough. I also didn't feel like I totally tuned into Jill. That was disappointing. I stopped and started the book several times, did other things, came back and read some more to only stop again. I could put the book down. Not a good sign.

It is not that the book is bad, because it isn't. Saintcrow is a talented writer with an big and vivid imagination. But, and that is a big but, this book just didn't grab me like her other books have.

Bottom line, I will buy the next one because I have a huge respect for Saintcrow and will hope that the next story fills in some of the gaps I felt were missing in this story.

Hubby and son arrive home tonight and the soccer girl arrives home tomorrow. The quick slide towards the first day of school is underway.

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

Thanks for the reviews.