Wednesday, May 16, 2007

perspective

Okay, so after I finished my motherly duties yesterday I high tailed it to B&N to get the latest Charlaine Harris book. I came home, finished the latest Adriana Trigiani book I was reading and dove into Sookie's world.

I spent the rest of the day reading and finished the book around 9:30 last night. I did have to stop for a few things, like feeding the kids and going to a band concert.

I really enjoyed the book, but I also realized that I read it with a much more critical eye than I usually do. I guess with the edits on my WIP looming on the horizon, I'm paying close attention to continuity, pacing and conflict. I love the Sookie books, but this was not my favorite. I felt the ending was rushed and the 'mysteries' or conflicts were tied up in a big hurry in the last 40 pages.

I have a new perspective on what I need to do with MB. I'm not sure if I like all the conflicts tied up in one fell swoop. I think I'd rather dole out the resolutions a bit slower. Savor them, give them attention, make the solutions last a bit.

It may just be a matter of taste when it comes to endings. The rest of the book rocked. I loved the change of setting and I'm still torn as Sookie is over Eric and Bill and Quinn.


No comments: