Wednesday, May 23, 2007

finding the time

I really need to stop being an all or nothing writer. I've never been a good one for taking the view that getting a little bit done is better than nothing. I need enough time to get my word count in or I don't write. I know I can't push out 1500 words in an hour. I need at least two.

With school ending, my routine of writing Monday to Friday from 10-2 will most likely come to a crashing halt. I'm going to have to adjust my hours and my expectations.

It isn't that I couldn't train the little darlings to leave me alone for those four hours. I could. They would. It is more that I won't want to. I mean, come on, who wants to be cooped up in the attic typing away when I could be lounging on the patio watching them swim?! Of course, I'd have book in hand and diet coke on table.

Now, I can be flexible when it comes to fitting in my meetings and lunch dates. I do adjust for that. Will do that today, as a matter of fact.

So either I need to adjust my word count expectations or I need to set up a new schedule for myself. Either way, school ends in just two days. Summer looms in front of me. Three kids underfoot will be my new daily routine.

Wish me luck.

No comments: