Wednesday, November 6, 2013

constructive comments

We're in a rut.

There. I've said it. I think the only way to enact change is to first admit that change is needed. We need some changes at work. Going to the national meeting only solidified that thought in my head.

Our association has been very successful over the past 50 years and has grown and filled a need in the research community. But, like every entity, if you stagnate, things start to lose traction. You fail to recognize potential competitors and then fail to develop a plan to re-position yourself in the market. You begin to think that yours is the only show in town. You become complacent in your customer service and as your front line people become entrenched in their ways, service becomes a chore, a bother, a nuisance.

I saw all of this while I was gone to the meeting. I had a long talk about it yesterday with our assistant executive director. A meeting with the exec. director may happen. They lost money last year. The hope this year is to break even.

As my boss told me before we left, "We succeed in spite of ourselves." He's right. But, how long can we sustain that?

It might be time to open the windows and air the place out. I said my piece, and framed it in the concept that we might be missing some opportunities. I think we are. But, in this case, change needs to come from the top down. If the ones in charge don't buy into the idea of trying some new things, the stagnation will continue.

There is truth to the saying that if something isn't broke, don't fix it. But, what if you don't realize that the thing is broken, cracked, or on its last leg? What then?

Is it time for a change? I think so. I do know that I have said my piece and offered ideas and suggestions. It is now time to step back. I had fresh eyes to see everything and how it all works. A new perspective was given.

Do I think the association is going to fail? No, I don't think that at all, but its relevancy and impact may begin to diminish. I've shared my thoughts with the powers that be. That's about all I can do.

No comments: