Thursday, February 2, 2012

a writing journey

When I first started this blog years ago, I was actively writing fiction. I had a couple of novels underway and several short stories started. I even finished some of them! They are still stored on this laptop and a jump-drive, because, some day I might get back into writing fiction again.

The Library and the Friends slowly began to consume more of my life and my free time about 6 years ago. I was writing, a lot, but it was either about the bookstore or about book sales or our group in general. That writing satisfied my need to create. I was doing good work and I was seeing my name in the newspaper on a regular basis. It was fun!

Now, I get paid to put words down on paper, well, actually a screen. The writing I'm doing for the Friends has been cut back to a monthly emailed newsletter via Constant Contact. I created the template and craft the content for this piece. Each month this newsletter goes out to over 100 members of the Friends. I don't mind doing it, but I have to say that after working at my paying job, sometimes the last thing I want to do is work on that newsletter.  I had meant to write a press release for our new officers and announce not only their election, but several other 'newsy' things going on with the group. It is now February and I haven't done it yet.  Maybe this weekend. Maybe.

As my work week seems to fly by and the weekends are filled with family activities, it is difficult to push away from everything and write. Frankly, I'd rather grab my Nook and spend that free time reading.

I've rambled on a bit, but what prompted this was the subtitle on my blog. It mentions my writing journey. My journey hasn't been what I'd expected or even hoped it would be at one point. It has, however, made me happy and brought me to the good place I am today.

Whatever your writing journey holds in store for you, sometimes what seems like a detour is really the new direction you should take. My detour into writing for the Friends led me to the job I now hold, a job that has been such a blessing for my family.

Enjoy the journey, each step along the way, bumpy road and all.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your journey ALWAYS inspires me, inspires me to be a better mom, a better friend, a better home manager! and I am thankful for your writing!!! and for your keeping up with your blog, although it may not be what you intended! It is one of the stables in my life and a refuge on a tough day!

EYR said...

Oh Elizabeth, your kind words made my day! Hugs to you!!