Thursday, February 9, 2012

library board

I had my library board orientation yesterday. The director and I sat down and for 90 minutes we went over what the library has done in the last 6 years and what they hope to achieve in the next several years. Of course our local school issue plays into some of those goals for the future. A lot of unanswered questions there, but some exciting possibilities as well. While the director and I haven't always seen eye to eye on some issues, she has never been afraid to try new things and to think outside of the box when it comes to what the library's mission might be. She truly wants our library to be a 'hub' in our community and works very hard at providing all our citizens with a variety of programs and resources.

I was quite excited to learn that our investment in Overdrive will be increased next fiscal year. She is taking a small percentage from each department's acquisitions budget and allocating it to e-books. Yippee! She also shared stats with me from Overdrive regarding circulation. Interesting stuff.

We will have our first board meeting this spring in order to accept donations from not only the Friends but also some other local civic groups. We will also be changing some policies at that time on books claimed to be lost. Fun stuff!

So, it was a good meeting. Today is my Friday, yet again. Wow. The week went really fast and with the kids having tomorrow off due to a teacher 'in service' day, I need to make a plan to not only get my normal chores done, but to also have some fun with them along the way.

Enjoy your weekend when it does arrive.

No comments: