Thursday, November 17, 2011

fairy tales: on a big or little screen near you

We've had vampires, werewolves and assorted other 'monsters' in our homes courtesy of Hollywood for several years now. Decades, really. Those creatures of the night are quite expected to pop up on the movie screen or the TV screen each season.

Yet this year brought two new TV series featuring strong fairy tale themes. "Once Upon a Time" takes the classic fairy tales we all know and love, twists them around and offers some new fresh ideas. "Grimm" is less fairy tale-esque and more like a revamped "Buffy", which makes sense as some of the same folks are involved in the new show, but we have a strong link to, the Brothers Grimm.

Then hop over to the big screen and two new movies are coming out with the legendary wicked queen played by Julia Roberts in one film and Charlize Theron in the other.

Snow White is getting a lot of love this season!

So, why? Why all of a sudden is this fairy tale theme exploding into popularity? Did the vampires and werewolves pave the way? Fairy tales have always been with us, and of course, Disney rolls out these characters on a regular basis, but Snow White is going mainstream and is now visually marketed to the folks who read the fantasy, sci-fi and urban fantasy books filling our libraries and bookstores.

Is it a return to the 'gothic' as my MFA candidate coworker suggested at work yesterday? As in most things, what is old is new again. I'm glad fairy tales are getting their moment, again.

2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I don't watch TV, but I did see the trailers for these things on another blog.
What I don't get is if Snow White is so beautiful, then why Kristen Stewart to play her? Get real. Either play up the beauty part and find another actress or else play up the survive-in-the-woods part and skip the beauty.

The whole comedy one looks a LOT better to me. But I doubt I'll ever see more than trailers anyway, so it's a moot point.

And, on the whole, I rather see evil queens than more twilight stuff.

EYR said...

Ginnifer Goodwin plays Snow in the TV series Once Upon a Time. I think she's great, so perfect casting in my mind. I agree on Kristin Stewart, not a good choice. Think Charlize will be an awesome evil queen; icy-cold!! Not sure about Julia Roberts...

Speaking of trailers...saw the Hunger Games one the other day; looking forward to that movie. Hope I'm not disappointed.