Tuesday, July 7, 2009

outside my window


The flower bed outside my kitchen windows has been sorely neglected over the past couple of weeks. I had a vigilant mama mockingbird nesting in the crepe myrtle tree that stands in the middle of the flower bed. She'd raise a real fuss if I lingered under her home for more than a minute.



Her eggs hatched and three babies made it out of the nest. One baby high tailed it for the back fence and we've not seen it since. I hope it hopped through to the neighbors yard, but I fear that maybe the circle of life claimed the small fuzzy hatchling. The other two have decided to stick closer to home and have been living in the flower beds that frame the back porch area. Mama bird keeps flying in to check on them. I'm not sure if she is still feeding them, but she is still keeping tabs on these two babies.

Our dog was quite intrigued by one who didn't dart back into the monkey grass quick enough. Luckily I was watching and realized what was going on so I was able to call him off and he came over right away with a very confused look on his face! "Mom, what was that thing?" I can hear one chirping right now.