Friday, July 31, 2009

need to dry out

The storm arrived as predicted last night just after supper. The middle kid and I whipped up a meal, her special shrimp dish, as fast as we could just in case the power went out. Best to face a storm on a full stomach.

The rain came, the thunder rolled, the lightening struck. I unplugged my laptop from the wall and ran on batteries as miraculously, the cable/internet was still working. I looked up and out my kitchen window and realized that either I was having serious vision problems or a lake was forming in my back yard. We have a huge storm water drain in the corner of our yard as our subdivision was built in a low area. Water wants to return to its former stomping, or in this case, puddling grounds. Yes, a lake had formed and was creeping closer and closer to the patio. It was over ankle deep in spots. Soccer balls and other toys floated around the yard. The water actually was deep enough to ripple in the wind. Scary.

But not as bad as what caused the water to collect in my yard. You see, the drainage creek that runs behind a row of houses along one of the main streets in our subdivision had burst its banks and was pouring in a flood between homes, into the street and was mid-calf deep in short order. Folks were out taking photos. Long time residents shook their heads and remarked they'd never seen it this bad. A few houses had the creek water come inside....I expect to see repair trucks over the weekend.

After a week of rain almost every day, this last storm was just more than the drains could handle. I guess the Wolf River had risen over the big bridge and was a foot deep on top of the pavement. The storm did tornado damage northwest of us and tore off part of a Kohl's dept store as well as damaging other businesses and homes.

We were lucky it was just water and not worse.

I've never seen a flash flood in person, but the mini one I witnessed last night was enough to give me the real good idea of how fast and dangerous they are.

The sun is peaking out today and I hope we have a chance to dry out now.

3 comments:

Anne's BLOG said...

Water, Water everywhere, nor any drop to drink !... ah, yes. OUR puddles remain this morning... no place to go in supersaturated ground. I'm thankful our cable outage only lasted a couple of hours, and the lights stayed on, after blinking one time - enough to have to reset all electronic gadgets. But I'm also thankful that the storm was no worse around here.

Elizabeth said...

yikes!!!! glad no baskets floated away! I need the August menu! :)

EYR said...

Elizabeth, no menu yet....was going to work on it this morning, but paid bills instead! Now I need to grocery shop:) I'll email it when I get it done...need to do it today! Can't believe it is almost August already. Whew.

Anne, yes, I think we dodged a real bullet with this latest 'gift' from Mother Nature.