Wednesday, July 29, 2009

banana bread

Yesterday on my facebook page, I posted a comment about banana bread. I've been cleaning out the freezer and cooking with what we have on hand this week. I noticed I'd frozen five, over-ripe bananas a while back and decided to bake some bread. The middle kid and I worked together as I doubled the recipe; I mixed and she measured. When we got to the baking powder, we didn't have enough. So, I sent her over to the neighbors to 'borrow' some. Shortly there after the phone rang as my neighbor, quite an amazing baker, realized there was no way I needed 4 teaspoons of baking soda as the kid was requesting. I confirmed, I didn't want soda I wanted powder.

Kid made it back with the right stuff and the two loaves turned out beautifully and tasted even better. Of course, they weren't all gone by yesterday morning, even though we tried our best to devour them fresh out of the oven and slathered with butter!

Back to facebook......banana bread must be a comfort food for many and my banana bread has apparently made quite an impression on the twin sons of a friend. I took them two loaves one time when I flew out to California to see them and they've never forgotten. I gave their mom the recipe, but she's not a baker and said she is doomed when she attempts to produce the recipe. It really isn't a hard recipe, but perhaps like many thing, you get good at what you observe growing up. I saw lots of baking at my house and my grandmothers' homes. I don't bake as nearly as much as they did, but I guess I still have the knack.

Banana Bread
1 3/4 c flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 c shortening
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 c bananas mashed

Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Beat Well. Add dry ingredients alternately with banana. Bake at 350 in greased loaf pan for approx. 1 hour or until done. You can mix into the batter choc. chips or chopped nuts if you wish.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wish I would have been inspired here before I pitched the pumpkin out of my freezer - cooked down, bagged and froze all of our pumpkins but then never baked with them :( The space and pressure of looking at them did me in and I pitched them on Monday :(

Your bread looks yummo, i'll have to compare to my banana bread !