Monday, October 13, 2008

fall break

Fall break is underway for the offspring. We returned from the soccer tournament in decent shape. Just a mild injury, received after the darling middle daughter was given a yellow card. She got far worse than she gave.

Also, I finished the second Aurora T. book I found at the book sale. It is the third book in that series. Now I am hooked and will have to find the rest of those stories.

Bad things always come in threes and after my mom's injury two weekends ago, I learned yesterday upon arriving home that my 94 year old grandmother is in the hospital intensive care. I spoke with my aunt for a while and grandma is showing a bit of improvement today, but it could still go either way. When you are 94, you are living the last moments of life daily. I'm hoping for the best. That may mean telling her goodbye. She is a vibrant woman and often told us she didn't want to live to see 100. She may decide it is time to go.

So, I'm sad but in a weird way, happy for her. She may get to go out on her own terms. For a lady who raised six kids on a coal miner's pay in the foothills of Pennsylvania, she's done well in so many ways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh.

I'd say "Well 94 is impressive!" but our grandpa is 96 and we're still in no hurry to see him go. So I understand.

Empathetic vibes headed your way.

EYR said...

Hey Dwight...thanks for the support. Hope you are well. Still miss reading your blog. Visit again soon.

Travis Erwin said...

They did away with fall break here a few years ago.

Kim Smith said...

Oh wow. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeals. Seems like it is going around (you know mine) and since then, several people I know are experiencing losing someone. Here's a long distance hug for you. Can't wait to see you!

(((Liz)))