Thursday, September 1, 2011

soccer drama

A few years ago, when I first got a facebook page, I volunteered to start one for the soccer booster club. We were going along swimmingly until this season. I'd recruited another 'admin' to help last year and yet another one to assist this year with making sure we posted the final scores for all three squads: varsity, jv and freshman.

For the past two years, we've never listed players names or who did what. We posted the score, a hearty congrats if we won and a sympathetic comment if we lost.

This year, we have one parent who is posting first names and how many goals they scored in our comments section. It bothered me when I saw it last week, but I let it fly. This week however, it happened again and one of the other admins called me to discuss it. She'd got complaints from some other parents. I shot a message to the third admin and we made the executive decision to post a 'policy' on this on the page and to remove the comments.

No one scores alone. Yes, in most cases, one foot put that ball in the net (although it can also be placed there by a head, a leg, a chest, a back..believe me, I've seen it all by this point), but that one player was passed the ball by a teammate, who received it from a another teammate and so on.

A team wins and a team loses. There is no 'i' in team.

No response yet to my post on the page from the offending party. Let's hope this parent gets the message. If not, I guess we go to the nuclear option and hit the delete key.

Soccer drama at its best.

No comments: