Tuesday, September 13, 2011

very brief book reviews

I took some time yesterday and updated my book list. I know I've left off a few titles, but it is now as up to date as I can  make it.  So, a few very brief book reviews are now in order.

"The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss, just can't say enough about this book and this author's talent. He dove into the epic fantasy genre with his debut title "The Name of the Wind" and has never looked back. But the neat thing is that this series isn't overly heavy on the fantastical elements and truly focuses on characters and building complex, interesting and memorable people. I really enjoyed this novel.

"Once Dead Twice Shy" by Kim Harrison, yet another adult urban fantasy author dabbles in the YA world. Well, I love Harrison's books starring itchy witch Rachel Morgan. I didn't love this book. It was a firm 'so-so' for me. Angels, reapers, dead teenagers.....just okay. I was disappointed.

The Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer, I'm slowly reading this children's series, and have been delighted with each and every story. Springer puts together great mysteries full of engaging characters and manages to provide consistently good plots.

Okay, so now I'm sort of caught up. Not sure what I will be reading next. I need to finish the two Nancy Springer books I have checked out and I'm also reading an e-book on the laptop. Maybe by Monday I will have three more mini reviews!

1 comment:

The English Teacher said...

So glad you liked Enola Holmes!