Monday, September 7, 2009

the pepper martin mysteries

I stumbled across book four in this series via the donations to our used bookstore. When I searched the library's online catalog, I was happy to learn that while our library didn't own the series, another nearby library did. I promptly requested books 1 & 2 from them. I've finished them both and give author Casey Daniels an enthusiastic thumbs up for her series.

Pepper Martin is a former 'rich' girl who takes a job as a historic cemetery tour guide after her doctor daddy is sent to prison for Medicare fraud. Pepper then proceeds to wear a pair of stilettos on a tour, trips and winds up knocking her noggin on a headstone. She wakes with the ability to 'see dead people.' In the first book, "Don of the Dead," her ghost-du-jour is a former mobster who was murdered over 50 years earlier. Pepper is given the task of solving the murder so he can 'move on.' The same formula is used in the second novel, "The Chick and the Dead". The books deliver plenty of twists and turns and fun characters. I need to request the third novel so I can read them in order.

In the meantime, I started to read the latest Cassie Palmer novel from author, Karen Chance. I'm only a few pages into this one, so I will save my comments on this series until after I've finished it.

No True Blood on HBO last night as the big season two finale is next Sunday evening. Hard going not getting my Sookie and crew fix to wind up the weekend.

Today is Labor Day and we usually have a cookout with our neighbors. However, our 6 year old tradition is being broken this year. Some sort of viral nastiness has hit their house and while they are on the mend, they are still run down, coughing and congested...so we all agreed to postpone the festivities to another date. Not sure what we will do to fill the void, but I'm sure something will turn up.

1 comment:

Kim Smith said...

This series sounds gooood!