Saturday, June 9, 2007

a different recap

I didn't even think about doing my usual Friday recap yesterday. This week was a nonstarter for either WIP. Instead today, inspired by my friend Leary's blog, I'm going to recap some of my better writing moments. Consider this my indulgent trip down 'atta girl' lane.

Learned after my graduation, my high school English teacher read my analysis paper on Wuthering Heights to his classes as an example of how to write such a beast.

Met with my first J-school prof for a research update and he stopped mid sentence and said, "You really enjoy writing, don't you?"

Sold my first article to Leading the Artful Life and was paid a whopping $75. The real payment came from the encouragement the editor gave me. We still email every so often to this day.

Proposing the idea of the biweekly newspaper column to promote the library and getting the go ahead. Published the column with two different papers for over two years. I've stopped for now as I'm taking on the new bookstore challenge.

These are the small moments that have stuck with me and encourage me to keep going. Make a list of yours.

No comments: