Wednesday, March 21, 2007

free donuts

Ya know, there is something to be said for tooting your own horn. Heck, when I let the owner of my favorite donut shop know it was my b-day today, I scored a free donut! It was totally yummy and the perfect thing to start off a good day. I'm 42 today...and damn proud of it.

Speaking of horn tooting, I read a neat post on how to toot your own literary horn on two different sites this week. The gist is that if you have a book out there, pubbed or not, it is important to let people know. You must market yourself. You must put yourself out there and tell folks what you are doing. I think for many writers this may be a difficult task. Afterall, writing is a solitary thing. Plus we are programmed not to be brags.

Of course the internet has done wonders for horn tooting. You can blog, you can have a website, you can post on other people's blogs. In short, you can create a cyber buzz of self promotion. Then you can duplicate that buzz in your real world. Don't be afraid to approach reporters, speak to groups, offer to put on programs at your libraries or even schools. Don't be afraid to toot your horn! You might just end up with more than a free donut.

4 comments:

Michelle Moran said...

Happy Birthday ;]

Michelle

EYR said...

Thanks, Michelle. I was talking up your new book yesterday at lunch with one of the adult collection librarians at my old place of employ. I'm getting her the ISBN so she can add it to her 'to buy list'....Can't wait to read it myself. I love historical fiction, ancient Egypt included.

Michelle Moran said...

Wow, thank you Liz!!!! Ancient Egypt was such a fascinating time, particular during Nefertiti's reign when everything was being turned on its head - religion, art, power.

And good luck on your own writing! I marvel at how you manage to fit everything in: Mom, biweekly column, your on WIP, visiting old haunts, a blog, a live journal... I have no children, no pets, and I still look around and think, "Where the heck did the time go? I was supposed to have written four pages and I only have one!"

EYR said...

Sometimes all the stuff doesn't fit in...you just do the best you can and try again tomorrow. I can't wait to read your book...the buzz is growing for it, the first chapter on your site is really great reading.

My oldest loves ancient Egypt, so we may read it together.