Thursday, March 29, 2007

book sale

Since I've left my position at the library, I joined the Friends group. The Friends run four book sales a year to raise funds to support collection and program development for the library. Made up of mostly retirees, these ladies and gentlemen have a true devotion to our local library. They give of their time and money to make sure our town has the best library we can have.

I helped yesterday as they began to unload the storage closets and set out the books. I ended up in one of the small meeting rooms unpacking boxes filled with science fiction and magazines. As I sorted and organized those hardback sci fi/fantasy novels, several names popped out at me. Names like Card, Asimov, Donaldson, Marillier, Brin, Kurtz took up quite a bit of shelf space. However, the vast majority of the books were written by authors I had never heard of...and I like to think I am fairly well read in this genre. You wonder what happened to those authors. Were they a one hit wonder? Do they have other books? What happened to their writing career?

I'm sure the percentages are out there.....how many authors go on to have a second and then third book published and how many don't ever publish again?

So many writers dream of seeing their name on the spine/cover of a book. It is my dream too, but I hope that once I achieve that goal, I continue on and see my name again and again and again. I bet it never gets old.

I once had an author tell me that when she saw her name on her first book she licked the cover....I wonder if she still does that!?

No comments: