Monday, February 15, 2016

the last three

I powered through a few library books I had loaded on to my Nook. All three were thoroughly enjoyable, but for different reasons. First up, "Uprooted"" by Naomi Novik. I have not read anything from this author before, but this was a well written and very entertaining novel. The fact it had a Russian/Polish flare to it was an added bonus. I loved the plot, the characters were well developed, and the story kept me engaged.

Next up, "The Bookseller" by Cynthia Swanson. Again, a new to me author, and a story that I could see flourishing in book clubs. While I figured out the plot twist fairly early on, I didn't figure out the one part of the twist that made the novel heart wrenching. This one caused a few tears and a large lump in my throat. It has a supernatural feel to it, but it is more women's fiction than fantasy.

Finally, I read a book from Sarah Maas. "The Court of Thorns and Roses" is another twist on the Tam Lin fable. I really enjoyed this novel, I liked the heroine and her resourcefulness. At times I felt the novel/plot lagged and the tension was a bit lax, but it really got moving in the last third of the book. I will read the sequel when it comes out as I'm eager to see the direction this series takes. Lots of romance here, I could see teen girls really going for this series.

Of the three, "Uprooted" was by far my favorite. Gold star for that one!

So, that is it! Lots of reading plus a great visit with the oldest, a fun birthday celebration with the boy, and a relaxed Valentine's Day weekend with hubby.

Good Stuff. Oh, and we have today off! That means it is time to stock the pantry and clean the house. It is really raining here today, gully-washer rain, so it is a good day to take care of the homefires, so to speak.

Enjoy.

No comments: