Thursday, November 19, 2009

when what is old is new again

I started reading Dan Brown's latest thriller, "The Lost Symbol" yesterday and am already two thirds done with the novel. My neighbor loaned me the book, and I am very glad I didn't have to wait at the library for it or shell out any money to purchase it.

I'm not going to bash the book. Hey, his writing may not be stellar, but he tells an entertaining story that millions of readers enjoy. I've read better and I've read worse.

He doesn't break any new ground here. If you've ever watched the History channel, you know all the Masonic ties built into Washington D.C. He takes the same 'conspiracy' approach in this story that he has used so successfully in his other novels. The story has a cast of characters very similar in type to his other stories....psychopathic villain, scary government officials, serene mentors etc.

So, what do you do when what is old is new again? Well, you read the book, return it and be happy for a writer who is making millions entertaining people. It may be formulaic, but he sells and he sells BIG.

No comments: