Friday, November 16, 2007

a dollop of doubt, please

I've got dollops on the brain, maybe because Cool Whip is on sale this week at my local grocery store. Hey, I bought two tubs of the stuff because not only is it fantastic on the old pumpkin pie, it is also great on hot cocoa.

Enough food talk. I'm having major doubts that I will ever return to either WIP. I've spent the last three months developing the bookstore, which by the way, is going amazingly well. My writing consists of blurbs for the local newspapers, our website, the Town's website and the Chamber of Commerce. The latest focus is the big VHS sale we are having mid December.

The old library is withdrawing every single VHS tape and book on cassette they own. Why? Well, they are installing a self checkout system and the system would wipe clean such tapes. Which then the patron would have to pay for because they didn't read the sign telling them not to use the system on such tapes. Funny in a very ironic way that the library has to remove materials because the library patrons DON'T READ!!

But, back to my lack of fiction writing. I've been away from Maddy and Lani so long now, that their mental tug/wail has been reduced to a mild whimper every now and then. Hence, my very large dollop of doubt. The muse is silent, I think she left the country. The creative juices have dried up like the Georgia lakes I see in the newspaper.

I've stalled out. You have to admit the problem in order to solve it, right?

3 comments:

Dwight's Writing Manifesto said...

If you were to start at the begining of your WIP and read from page one to the last written page, would that reignite your passion to finish the story?

If not, Liz... The problem is bigger than the missing pages.

Give it a try. See if it doesn't get you back in the flow of things.

EYR said...

The WIP involving Maddy is complete. I've lost myself in the editing bog.....

Lani's story is a YA that I began to give myself an escape from editing the completed Maddy story.

Too many fricking irons in the fire.

I think your suggestion is dead on...I need to read Maddy start to finish. Perhaps then I can finish the edits and put it to bed.

A Paperback Writer said...

Yes, Dwight's suggestion is good.
I left my ms for the half-vampire novel at home an untouched for a whole year while I did my MSc in Scotland. But once I began a fresh reading, the old fire was right there.