Monday, November 26, 2007

the best laid plans

Let's just say it....Thanksgiving sucked.

The youngest woke up Tuesday with a raging fever...that continued to rage through the day into the next, hence our trip to the powdery white sands of the Florida panhandle was cancelled. The kid was really ill and when we got him to the doctor on Friday he wound up with 3 prescriptions. Then, in the meantime, we got a call that one of my hubby's uncles died. His son found him dead in bed Wednesday morning. So, hubby got online and booked himself a trip up north for the funeral...and pall bearer duties.

I did manage to throw together a damn fine meal, considering I had less than 24 hours to prepare. Instead of lounging beach side, I stuffed my face with pumpkin pie, dressing and turkey.

I didn't work on Maddy Blue.....too busy taking temperatures, refreshing drinks and rolling out pie crust. And playing on the Wii.

Yes, the hubby and I threw the kids a major bone after the Thanksgiving trip debacle and had the 'elves' deliver a bit of technological heaven to our front step Thursday morning. One less gift under the old Christmas tree, but at least mom isn't babbling in a corner doped up on Prozac. That little box of plastic kept the kids busy for 4 days.........I love you Wii!!!

The best bit of news was from my crit bud, Miss Kaycee Connors...yeah, you girl.....she is breaking free of the bonds of the unpublished and signed on the dotted line. I can't hardly stand it I'm so excited that Shannon and Dwayne are going to be out there for the world to enjoy.

Dwight.....I'd love to crit your stuff....and as soon as I wrap up the latest edits on Maddy I'll take you up on your offer to give that manuscript a whirl.

On other fronts....I read Laurell K. Hamilton's "A Lick of Frost" and Lee Child's "One Shot" over the long weekend. Thumbs up on both.

3 comments:

Dwight's Writing Manifesto said...

Wow. Sorry you got screwed out of your beach, Liz. That's awful.

Hope your li'l-un gets well soon.

For an inferior graphics platform, the Wii is an absolute hoot. At the last family get together my 94 year old grandpa was playing, and laughing like a little kid. Amazing.

I have a feeling that you'll have Maddy edited before mine. Lemmeknow when you are ready.

Kim Smith said...

woot woot! I am so looking forward to visiting this SUNDAY. Bring on the machiattoes we be's celebrating~!!!

EYR said...

Dwight....the boy trotted off to school yesterday and seems to be on the mend. Praise the lord and pass the omnicef,prednisone and sudal. By the way, my Wii age is double my actual age. Scary.

Kaycee...how about high noon at B&N? Drinks are on me:) Maybe we can even splurge and split a dessert?!