Monday, December 16, 2013

what a weekend

The office party was fun; the after party was fun. Saturday was busy. Yesterday was sad.

First, the son of our town judge died. He was only 33. He had an autoimmune disorder called goodpasture disease. My heart is breaking for his family. So very tragic and senseless.

Second, our speech and debate teacher announced at our Christmas party that he is leaving our school to take a job with our former principal as the assistant superintendent over in another county. His last day is Friday. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. It was a shock to many of us, although he had told some of the parents ahead of time. He has been at our school for 27 years.

I had a hard time falling asleep last night as I thought of the young man who died. As I though of the 27 speech kids, including my son, who have lost such a fabulous teacher and mentor.

We all talk about how life is change. It is transition. It is never the same from day to day. I thought about Fr. Kris' homily yesterday morning about how we place value on the wrong things. How the value of time far exceeds anything else in this world. It is precious. We can't make more of it. We have to treasure it and not wish it away.

I have a heavy heart this morning. My son will be wearing his suit to school today as they are taking a team picture this morning for Mr. Hutson to take with him to Lebanon. He wanted one for his office; a photo of this team.

Godspeed Mr. Hutson and best wishes in your new job. God bless JWH, our town will be less without you in it.


No comments: