Monday, August 6, 2012

the church ladies

We sit in the same pew each Sunday and, in general, the same people sit around us. We have the two widow ladies who sit behind us, and the older couple who sit to the right of us, a retired couple in front of us, and a family from the neighborhood in front of them. There are assorted other people who are sometimes mixed in, like the Hispanic lady who wears really strong perfume and the lone guy who is a brother-in-law to my oldest daughter's best friend.

They all know the oldest is heading off to college. They've all asked questions along the way about where she is going and such. One of the widow ladies is a HUGE fan of the university she is attending and is pleased as punch that is where she will be going to school. The older couple have a daughter who played soccer, was a goalie, and went to the same high school as my girls. The neighborhood couple's oldest son is heading off to his second year of college next week and she has been a wonderful sounding board for all things 'college.'

Yesterday at church during  the Sign of Peace one of the ladies asked "When does she leave for school."  I managed to say "Wednesday." Yep, I was having a moment as I realized that next Sunday I wouldn't be standing next to my baby girl in the pew, holding her hand as we said the Lord's Prayer or giving her a hug and kiss at the Sign of Peace. Well, of course, they all heard. Lots of knowing smiles.

After Mass, the oldest was hugged and advised by all of the church ladies who have sat around us for years. This wasn't an unexpected event. It wasn't a remarkable event. But, it was wonderful.

The daughter was beaming. I still had tears in my eyes. I have them now!  But, as we finish packing and getting those last minute things she needs, I know that she will be okay.




2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Isn't it funny, though, how we're all so territorial about where we sit. We're almost like animals, marking our spots.
I recall choosing a row to sit in and using it for a couple of years until the couple who "owned" it returned from their mission. The lady actually told me I couldn't sit there anymore because it had been "their" spot for years, and it was apparently still "their" spot while they were gone. I had to move elsewhere. Seriously.

Now that I'm divorced, I'm relegated to the overflow of the chapel. Single people are only "allowed" to sit with someone else's family (if invited) or in the overflow. No one enforces this, of course, but everyone knows it. If a single person were to take up space on one of the padded benches, they would be scorned and scowled at (and maybe even told to move by certain people) for taking up "family" space.
My neighbor jokingly calls the overflow area (with the folding chairs, not nice, padded benches) "The Island of Misfit Toys." :D
Good luck this week. And good luck to the moving daughter.

EYR said...

Island of Misfits! Wow. Yes, we are creatures of habit when it comes to church pews, but for the returning missionary to boot you from 'their' row...that took some chutzpah!!

Thanks for the well wishes...I appreciate the support!