Tuesday, August 7, 2012

frying pan, fire and my inability to say no

Guess I am making up for lost time.

Last night I got a call from one of the men in town who has decided to run for alderman. He had been by the house the night before to get our signatures on his petition to run. He is jumping into the race about 30 days late, but has made up for his delayed entry with a lot of energy.

He was calling me to ask me to serve on his committee. Yep. Guess my name had been bandied about a bit by him, my husband and several other members on his committee.

Why am I doing this? Am I a glutton for punishment as the saying goes? Do I like fires more than frying pans? Well, no, not exactly.

I've always wanted to work on a political campaign. Sort of a bucket list thing. I'm interested in politics. I care deeply about our town and am concerned about the way the town board has voted on some recent issues. If we are allowed to continue the path towards a municipal school district, we need some common sense, business sense and devotion to the project. We need a power shift on multiple levels and I think this man can deliver that.

So, I'm in. His first meeting is tonight. Plus, I figure, being busy over the next few months might be a very good thing.


No comments: