Thursday, August 16, 2012

quick updates

Well, it has been a crazy, emotional rollercoaster of a ride the last ten days. Oy vey!  We got the oldest to the university and she is doing super-d-duper so far. She is loving sorority rush and has made several new friends. Funny thing about the girls she found to hang out with; they are all from up north, or were born up north and moved south due to job relocation like she did. Does my heart good to know she found some Yankee sisters. She heads into the final round of rush on Friday, we hope. She had 6 houses to visit for Skit Days and will have to select her top three houses at this next 'cut.' Then she will get her invites back for Preference Night. Ugh. Hoping she lands in one of her favorites - she has four houses she really likes.

We made it to Missouri and back for my grandmother's funeral. Saw a lot of family I hadn't seen in almost a decade. The weather was perfect and the service was really nice. The flowers my mom ordered were gorgeous. My grandmother would have loved them. My mom delivered a beautiful eulogy and I was able to stumble through mine. Didn't quite have the 'ugly' cry going, but I didn't hold it together very well. Oh well, I said what I wanted to say and I feel good about it.

Now I have to return to work for the next two days. I kind of feel like a zombie. I'm mentally tired. Lots of chapters closing in my life with the oldest daughter off on her own and my grandmother passing away.

But we are moving forward! On a funny note, the soccer fanatics that we are, the girls follow several of the US Women's National Team and of course they cheered them on during the Olympics. On Twitter, Megan Rapinoe has a follower called the Rapignome. It is a little gnome who randomly shows up in photos with Megan and tweets about his adventures on the pitch.  The girls love this and hats off to whoever thought up this bit of brilliance.

Yesterday while the hubby and I were out running errands, we swung by Lowe's and picked up a gnome for the middle daughter and the senior girls to enjoy.  His name is Rondo the Dragongnome. Rondo is the name they use for a set play on a corner kick and has evolved into a word that describes just about anything they do on the field now! Rondo the gnome magically appeared in the middle daughter's soccer bag. When she left for practice last night she found him and a note explaining how the Rapignome sent his friend Rondo to the team.  She was laughing so hard she could hardly breathe. I may post a picture of Rondo. He is quite dapper.

Okay, off into the day I go. The weekend is approaching, thank goodness!


2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

hey girl, glad to hear all is going as well as can be expected... it is a very busy time here as well... I am so in need of a BN visit with you. This weekend is my son's birthday weekend and we are doing a family camping trip so can't do this weekend, but next is looking good. Let me know if you can squeeze out an hour or two. Hugs to you and your'n.

EYR said...

Sounds great! Let's get a time set once that weekend gets a bit closer. Would love to sit down, sip some tea,and have a good chat!