Tuesday, August 19, 2008

budget cuts

I'm an avid newspaper reader. After I get up in the morning and make a pot of coffee, I let the dog out to fetch the paper. He collects it from the end of the driveway and carries it back to the house. His fee for such work is one doggie biscuit during the week and on Sundays he gets a half a slice of american cheese.

Cup of coffee in hand, I sit down and read. Lots of articles in the newspaper these days on ways to tighten the household budgets. I read those with a keen eye. When you are a one income house with three kids, any tip helps. What I've come to realize is that the tips these articles mention are so far removed from my reality that I just laugh.

The sage advice offered in the last article I read centered on eating. Don't eat out...check. Cook from scratch...check. Meal plan...check. Buy in bulk when it makes sense...check. Eat less meat...check. Buy produce in season...check.

Come on people, are today's adults so inept that they need to have it put out there in black and white that eating out is more expensive that making spaghetti and meatballs at home?

I've seen other suggestions ranging from cutting back on your manicures and pedicures. Oh please, is that the best you can do? How about grouping your errands and not running out for just one thing? Again, are people stupid?

I have to believe I'm not the only person who reads these articles and smirks. I've got to think a large number of us are ahead of the curve on this one. If I contemplate the alternative, well, it is a good thing I haven't had my breakfast yet. You know, the breakfast where you actually break eggs and not nuke up a prepackaged sandwich.

No comments: