Tuesday, May 11, 2010

whirlwind

As the school year winds down, the kids only have 9 days left, the pace of life accelerates.  It is the mad dash to the finish. We are all tired and ready for summer vacation, such that it is.

I did manage to read "A Reliable Wife" over the weekend. Well. Ahem. I had heard great things about this book and after I closed the back cover I began to wonder if this novel was perhaps the beneficiary of some well placed 'buzz.'  The book has some very beautiful writing in it. Strong, lean prose fills the pages.  The plot is more of a parable and teaching lesson. The characters are quirky cliches.  I  am left with the feeling that the book will be held in a higher regard than it really deserves.

I'm now reading two books at the same time, one urban fantasy and one literary fiction.  More on those later in the week.

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

Hey girl! Sounds like you are a busy bee over there. I am trying to get through the middle of a new book, and wedding season is upon us! hope we can get together soon :)

EYR said...

Oh yeah, busy as a bee is right. Yes, I'd love to spend a few hours at B&N with you:)