Monday, May 17, 2010

three and done

I have finally finished the stack of books I purchased from the last sale. I bought ten books, five were urban fantasy and five were literary fiction. The last two were both good reads.  I started with Yasmine Galenorn's "Bone Magic."  This novel was an installment in her Otherworld series featuring the D'Artigo sisters. Good story, easy to read, but you need to have read some of the other books to be able to enjoy the interplay between all the characters. Backstory comes in handy when relationship nuts and bolts are important.  Galenorn writes some of the more spicy urban fantasy, more along the lines of Laurell K Hamilton. 

The next book was "The Monsters of Templeton" by Lauren Groff.  I picked this one up because the striking black,white and red cover caught my eye. The blurb on the cover from Stephen King sealed the deal.  This is a great read.  Well written and full of interesting characters, wonderful dialog and even a mystery of sorts to solve.  Lots of complex relationships in this one, some history and even some magical realism.  Good, good stuff.

The last book, "Silver Borne", I checked out from the library on Thursday.  I enjoy reading the Mercy Thompson series from Patricia Briggs.  The heroine is a shapeshifter, a coyote, who is mated to the local alpha werewolf.  She is also a car mechanic.  Briggs provides a good story, lots of adventure, interesting werewolf pack dynamics and a heroine you can cheer for.

Up next is a book from India Edgehill on the biblical Delilah.  Nothing like totally changing gears!

No comments: