Thursday, May 1, 2008

rothfuss and the to be read pile

I finally started the Rothfuss book I blogged about a few weeks back. Took me a bit to become engaged, but once I settled into the story, I've been very entertained. The plot device Rothfuss chose to tell this epic tale isn't unique or fresh, but he does wield it with expert care. Our protagonist reveals his story by telling his tale to another individual. So the book, in many ways, is one long flashback, at least to the point where I stopped reading last night. It works. I've enjoyed the world building in the story and the assorted characters I've met thus far.

The library fell victim to my need to read this week. I've checked out two YA books, two cozy mysteries (Aunt Dimity stories) and one historical mystery. Not sure what possessed me, but the nice weather and the image of my lawn chair did influence me to some extent.

As soccer season winds down, it escalates. One of those weird things about spring sports. I may be camped out in the van quite a bit until school ends. The perfect time to read.

2 comments:

Kim Smith said...

***coughcoughcough*** the perfect time to what??? READ?? what about write? Come on now. I am about ready for my favorite first reader. I was hoping we could swap stuff.

miss ya!

EYR said...

I, of course, am totally excited about spending some time with Shan and Dwayne. And, of course, i can ship over to you the draft of Maddy B for a beta read....just say when:)