Tuesday, May 6, 2008

name of the wind


Finally finished this one yesterday afternoon before heading to the soccer fields. I'm always excited to stumble across epic fantasy novels. Then my excitement wanes when I realize I have to wait for the next installment to hit the shelves. I have hope the wait for the second Kvothe story from Patrick Rothfuss won't be too long. I missed the debut of the hardback last year and found the paperback release just last month. The next book has to be released soon, right?
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Name of the Wind." One heck of a tale, complete with enough magic, intrigue and memorable characters to satisfy most fantasy fans. Told from our hero, Kvothe's, point of view the story unfolds like a shiny piece of fabric. The novel starts in the present and through Kvothe's retelling of his life's story to a man called Chronicler, we learn about his boyhood and young adult years.
In a book this long, it clocks in at 722 pages, it is hard to summarize all that happens. I'm just going to leave it by saying that reading the book was a pleasure. Great epic fantasies just don't come along often enough. I'm glad to have found Rothfuss' story.

4 comments:

Neil Richard said...

I think the sequel is due in 2009. A while to wait, but it should be worth it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

EYR said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. Yes, I did enjoy it and am glad to know the sequal isn't years away.

Anonymous said...

LIIIIIIZZZZZZ!!!

Holy crap, it's been a long time!

I was driving down an unfamiliar road in Cleveland today, looking merely to get out of the office at lunch time and perhaps score a cold Diet Pepsi. Suddenly I was struck by a thought as firmly as if I'd been slapped on my bald spot:

"What the eff ever happened to Liz? Did she stop posting? How come you can't remember her writing a blog post lately? You DID update her into the Feedreader on your work-issued laptop, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU, DWIGHT?"

Gulp. Oops.

I'm so sorry. I missed you. I've added you back into the RSS reader and I'm catching up on a month of posts right now.

EYR said...

Oh, Dwight...I'm still here although mommyhood has me pulling my hair out with one hand and eating chocolate with the other.

Regarding "Becoming Jane" I rented it, but never watched it. Will have to give it a whirl again.