Thursday, December 20, 2007

the Tea

Take a tall 40 something Yankee, a tray of cucumber sandwiches and a house built in 1877. Mix them all together and you get the Christmas Tea I attended yesterday. The house was amazing. Fireplaces in every room, stained glass windows, original hardwood floors and bead board ceilings, it was just beautiful even before you added the antique furniture. The tea was way too yummy, never thought I'd be a fan of little fussy cucumber sandwiches, but these rocked. The average age of attendees had to be 70; lots of gray hair, gold shoes and holiday sweaters. I did learn that this club only admits new members when one of the existing members passes away and the club has been around since 1936. They were the driving force behind establishing a town library back in 1956. Pretty dynamic group of women and living examples of the phrase 'steel magnolias.' Think a houseful of Miss Julia's....which reminds me, I really need to finish reading that series.

We leave tomorrow for parts north. I've almost finished packing and instructing the daughters on how/what to pack. Today I hand my bookstore keys off to the Friends treasurer for the duration of my absence.

Enjoy the weekend and if I don't get to log in before Christmas, hope you have a very Merry one.

No comments: